Ok well, a scale model of one, but hey, the title is technically still true!
Here’s my first ‘proper’ post for the year and it relates to a model kit I’ve very recently completed: the Willys Jeep in 1:24 scale by Italeri. In this post I’ll relay some of my thoughts after having completed this project and of course, show off pics (and video) of the build!
Upon opening this kit package, I found a very handy Photo Reference Guide. This booklet was a great reference during the build and I found myself flipping through the pages almost as much as the actual instructions themselves. The reference guide contains information such as history of the Willys Jeep, photos of the real thing, as well as several different paint schemes you may choose to paint. As an aside: when completing my kit, I chose to model it after the “Short Stop” scheme/vehicle, however I stopped-short (pun!!) of adding the face graphics to the vehicle; reason being I wanted a more clean look without any ‘childish’ decals, even if the real example had these!
There are only TWO parts trees in this kit (well, three if you include the tiny transparent parts tree); this deceptively made me think this would be a quick and easy kit to build…not so! While it took almost no time at all to base coat and then paint the sprues (one green, one black), the actual build itself was very detailed and time-consuming. No matter, it was a blast to build and I’m very happy with the results, which leads me onto…
Fit and finish of the kit is excellent; I hardly needed to do much sanding or filing, aside from the usual. The only disadvantage I found however, and this is somewhat prevelant in the Italeri kits I’ve seen so far, is that the tyres are plastic and not actually rubber. Not a huge deal, as I could just as easily weather the plastic to be flat and rubber-like in texture and look. Still, I do prefer the ‘real’ rubber of the Revell kits.
Having said all this, I would buy another Italeri kit and it turns I have! (stay tuned for more info on that later)
Photos (and video) of the build and completion
So here’s the main meat of the content, the photos! I tried to take as many as I could during the build, but it seems I missed out on taking some documentary of the very early stages, such as when the chassis rails and cross members were still separated! Make no mistake, this is not a simple kit to build, and because the tyres were plastic, I found myself having to make sure I build the chassis as squarely as I could and frequently tested the axles with the wheels attached to ensure all four points were making contact. I’m pleased to say it all turned out fine in the end. So anyway, on to the photos!