Here’s a post to show some updates on the Büssing 8000 model truck kit which has been keeping me busy for the past several days. So far the build has progressed well. I won’t say it has been easy by any stretch, because it hasn’t; what it has been is challenging and definitely rewarding. Revell have themselves a masterpiece with this kit, I can already tell.
Overall the kit has gone together well so far, aside from some of the usual part fitment issues here and there (part and parcel of model kit building). But…
One of the more concerning stages in the build was putting together the fully functioning Knorr steering system: one of the key parts was broken/incomplete out-of-the-box, which meant I had to refabricate a new piece from a section of scrap plastic. This proved quite challenging (and fun) because the part I had to refab would also be a moving part (!) in the steering system.
Here’s some pictures of the refabrication process. There was a lot of buffing and filing down (as well as cursing) to do once I cut off my piece of virgin plastic from the sprue. In the end I made it though, and the piece was fitted and no one is the wiser (well, except for you since you’re reading this). I’ve included my finger in some of the shots, just to show the scale at which I am working…
I’m devoting the rest of this post to a huge gallery of photos I’ve taken which shows the progress over the past week or so, and a link to a YouTube video I uploaded a little bit earlier. I can’t wait to finally get the chassis down pat, and then start work on the body itself.